Saturday 31 January 2004

First Paycheck

I've been paid. After almost two months of living on very little (well, very little after I managed to blow just about everything I had on my first weekend in Seoul) I've suddenly become rich.

1.8 million, in fact, which if you ignore the currency and actual value, is likely to be the highest wage I ever receive. You pricks back in Scotland slaving away for a few hundred a week, look at me now, with almost 2 million in the bank just for speaking my native language to a handful of little slanty eyes.

There's a few things I have to do with my money.

1. Pay back people who lent me money.
2. Buy a hifi.
3. Buy CDs.
4. Buy a mobile phone.
5. Buy lots of cushions.
6. Get drunk.
7. Get drunk.
8. Get drunk.

etc

I got paid on Thursday then, and went out for a meal with Kristi. She lives on the subway line, which is very convenient. Less conveniently, she's a vegetarian, which in my area seems to be an impossible option. But she eats fish, so we found somewhere.

Then we went to what might be my favourite bar in Korea so far. It's a dimly lit bar, with a warm feel and comfortable sofas, and although the music is Korean pop it's at a relaxed volume. And there's a free pool table, and the woman who serves the drinks is a delightful, friendly woman who seems eager to help and to make your experience the best it possibly can be.

Nothing last night, but tonight I'm meeting up with Matt and we'll see what happens from there. We're both bad influences on each other so if we're on form then we can expect bad behaviour.

Also, we're going into pie-making business together. But more on that later.

No comments: